Currency Exchange
Prince Albert Laying Foundation-stone of Licensed Victuallers' Asylum. c1858

Prince Albert Laying Foundation-stone of Licensed Victuallers' Asylum. c1858

by The Illustrated London News

Prince Albert Laying the Foundation-stone of the New Wing of the Licensed Victuallers' Asylum, c1858. Original wood engraving published for The Illustrated London News on July 10, 1858 (with later hand-colour).

The Licensed Victuallers' Asylum was the oldest of all trade asylums in Britain, and was supported by voluntary contributions. A grandiose building designed to accommodate the families of those who had spent their working years in the brewing industry, but had fallen on hard times. Prince Albert had been patron for nearly 16 years, succeeding  the Duke of Sussex in the position. Situated in Old Kent Road, the opening of the new Albert Wing was performed by his Royal Highness the Prince Consort in the presence of a ladies and gentlemen connected with the institution and trade, several members of the City Common Council, the House of Commons, and the clergy of the neighbourhood.

The Illustrated London News was the world's first graphic newspaper. Published weekly from 1842, its engraved images of interesting events and discoveries from around the world ensured its popularity. Engravings from this publication have always been avidly collected and hand-tinted with watercolour for further enjoyment. This engraving measures approximately 175 x 240mm (7 x 9.5 inches) on a half page. The reverse contains the text describing the event depicted.

Stock Number: apsegILN32Price: $20.00