Welcome to Antique Print Club decorative, interesting and rare antique maps & prints.
Derek & Kathryn Nicholls guarantee that all items from this website are as stated. Purchase safely online 24/7.
Antique Print & Map Company original antique maps & antique prints from 100 to 400 years old are also available every day
from 10am to 5pm at Brisbane Antique Emporium, Clayfield 794 Sandgate Road (Junction Rd entry).
For hundreds of years, original antique maps and prints have been used on walls in grand estates and chateaux of Europe. Framed antique maps and prints look great with even modern decor; and today add style to workplaces, homes and hotels. Here are some great ideas for your inspiration.. in case you need any inspiration..
* Elegance and fun can prompt a smile from any corner of the wall. Even men and children enjoy the charming hand-coloured French fashion illustrations c1913-1925 from Gazette du Bon Ton (Journal of Good Style) and Costumes Parisiens (Paris Fashions). Elves and Personified Animals at Sport and Play, are also enjoyed by the young at heart.
* Other pretty arwork includes 19th century beautiful Sevres and Faience Porcelain lithographs - or if preferred, dramatic large Greek pottery lithographs, and interesting lithographs of antique musical instruments.
* Classical Design can be quite unusual, with a choice of periods, styles, sizes, and costs: 17th century engravings of carved gems by Picart, and 1st century Roman military battles by Bartoli, magnificent 18th century engravings of Raphael Arch and Pilaster frescoes at the Vatican, or Piranesi etchings (among the finest etchings ever done), small English engravings "as would tend to improve the Student" of classical antiquities, Coats of Arms, Pairs of little Cherubs (Putti) at work and play, Pompeii frescoes, ancient coins, furniture and decorative architectural embellishments.
* Architectural engravings and lithographs appeal to anyone who appreciates the different architectural styles around the world. Some of the finest antique architectural engravings are the small 18th century engravings of Giacomo Barozzi Vignola's Five Rules of Architecture, and the larger rare 18th century engravings of architectural designs by Inigo Jones, the 'father of classical English architecture', and Battista Falda 17th century Italian architectural engravings.. and of course wonderful French chateaux.
* Garden landscaping varies considerably. There's amazing French Gothic, formal English estates and pretty 19th century watercolours of French chateaux and their gardens, and even an engraving showing the transition from poverty to wealth on the colonial country 'station' in Australia, named Bontharambo.
* Floral engravings and lithographs include rare Australian native Flora, 18th century floating Citrus Fruit, and earlier Herbs. Small engraved portraits of Birds by William Home Lizars for Sir William Jardine, inimitable character studies of Animals by Brodtmann and by Nodder for George Shaw, and beautiful 18th century engravings of Shells and Fish look good in living rooms as well as bathrooms. Perennial favourites for every room are the large beautifully hand-coloured John Gould bird lithographs.
* Antique maps remind us of special holidays, or the country where family and friends came from: Europe, U.K. & Ireland, Italy, France, Asia & Japan, Australasia, Canada & America.. Rare early maps may seem strange today, perhaps with different names, coastlines, and country and state borders from hundreds of years ago. Equally fascinating are early views: Australia, China, New Zealand, finely engraved English coastal views, or Ships and Marine and Military scenes.
* Many antique maps and prints are under $50. However if you wish to be economical and don't mind a modern reprint, our Heritage Editions section may have just what you want. For example, reproductions of botanical prints (often larger than the original) include flowers of Australian shrubs and trees. John Gould birds and his iconic Koala are spectacular even if they don't have the detail of the originals. Heritage Editions world maps and limited editions of Australian maps make available some of the most important and rare maps charting Australia's discovery. As with precious artwork, framing with U/V glass is a little more expensive but will protect the quality of the image for years to come.
* We are also adding more Books to our website, and while you can't hang them on your wall, like the maps and prints they will give hours of pleasure.
* If you would like to give someone else a wonderful choice, buy them a Gift Certificate. Gift Certificates are valid for 6 months, and can be used as full or part payment for any purchase from our Antique Print Club website. We regret that full- or part-refunds are not available, but Gift Certificates are transferrable if used within the six month validity.
Please email Kathryn at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone +61 (0)412 442 283 for Antique Print Club Gift Certificates of all values.
We hope you enjoy your visits to our website. You should find our Blogs and Library provide good background information, but if you have a question, or if we can be of assistance, just email or phone us (as above).